REVALUO is a low-carbon waste-to-energy system (WTE system). Our system uses non-burning thermochemical treatment for municipal solid waste as well as waste from different industries based on THERMOLYSIS. REVALUO manages to recycle and recover value from 85 to 90% of solid waste in landfills and produces significantly fewer carbon emissions than a WtE incinerator.
What alternative products can we obtain with REVALUO?
Fuel and Biofuel
REVALUO WtE system can produce fuel and biofuel. It obtains Bioethanol through the HYDROLYSIS of biomass. On the other hand, the THERMOLYSIS treatment processes inorganic waste such as tires, rubber, plastics (except PVC), and leachate. Through our non-burning treatment, we obtain Syngas, Charcoal, and Bunker fuel.
- Bioethanol from biomass waste. Bioethanol is considered a high-value biofuel. It is used as an oxygenate additive to gasoline by car manufacturers and other industries. Bioethanol is a renewable energy source and reduces carbon emissions from gasoline.
- Synthetic gas or Syngas. It is composed of a mixture of hydrogen, nitrogen, methane, and other gases. Syngas is employed to feed specific machines and cogeneration engines to generate electric power.
- Charcoal. Charcoal is valued as a non-polluting fuel for industries. We can produce charcoal from non-organic waste. On the other hand, if we use organic waste instead, we will obtain Biochar.
- Bunker oil. We can produce Bunker oil from plastic waste (except PVC) and end-of-life tires (ELTs). Bunker oil is known for its high combustion power which makes it suitable for large vessels and cement industries. The Bunker oil produced by REVALUO energy recovery system meets the sulfur cap set by the IMO 2020 (0.5%).
Soil improver from leachate and Biochar
- Soil improver from leachate. REVALUO gasification system processes leachate from Class A, B, and C. Through this treatment, we obtain charcoal which can be used as a source of nutrients and minerals for the plants. Charcoal is harmless and eco-friendly.
- Biochar. The system also produces Biochar from organic waste. Biochar is an eco-friendly fertilizer. It is obtained from animal excrement, biomass waste, and algae, among others. REVELUO produces Biochar from organic waste.
Our thermolysis plant uses pellets. We can use the thermal energy produced from heating pellets to generate electric power through a system of boilers and turbines. It is also suitable for desalination plants, and to feed the thermolysis plant itself.
REVALUO uses water in the Hydrolysis of organic waste materials. The water used in the process can be recovered as distilled water. Distilled water can serve for a second use in the same process or can be sold at a higher price.
Scrap metals and other materials
- Metals, glass, ceramics, cardboard, etc.
The materials recovery process separates and sorts materials that can be recovered or recycled. For instance, ferrous metals, and non-ferrous but valuable metals such as aluminum or copper. Glass, ceramics, cardboard among others can be also recovered.
How does REVALUO, the value recovery system work?
First stage: Sorting and materials recovery
Recovery of metals, glass, cardboard, paper…
Once waste, whether municipal solid waste (MSW), agricultural waste, plastics, used tyres, arrives at our waste management plant to be treated, it is separated and sorted. Then, a shredder breaks it into small pieces and follows a pelletization process next.
During the sorting and material recovery process, a whole series of valuable materials are recovered: metals such as aluminium or copper among others, glass, cardboard…
Organic waste will be separated and sent to a HYDROLYSIS process.
Second stage: HYDROLYSIS of organic waste and biomass.
Producing bioethanol and distilled water.
The HYDROLYSIS process uses water to decompose organic waste. During the process, waste is immersed in water pools for several hours. Then, liquid waste undergoes a distillation process from which we obtain bioethanol. The stillage that results from distillation will follow the next stage.
At this stage, distilled water is also obtained. It can be reused for the same process or sold as mentioned above.
Third stage: Pelletization and THERMOLYSIS
Producing heat, syngas, bunker oil, charcoal, and soil improver.
Non-organic waste follows a THERMOLYSIS treatment for which waste is dried and compressed into pellets.
The THERMOLYSIS treatment is a thermochemical treatment for solid waste in which pellets are heated (not burnt) at temperatures ranging from 650°C to 1200°C in the absence of oxygen. Depending on the temperature and the material treated, different products will be produced.
First, the heat can produce enough electric power to supply the thermolysis plant itself. It is also able to supply other facilities depending on the power required. The result is lower maintenance costs and energy savings.
Second, the gasification system in place can produce synthetic gas and charcoal. Syngas serves many purposes in the chemical, transportation, and energy industries, and charcoal is a valuable fuel.
Last but not least, the system produces bunker oil from plastic and end-of-life tires (ELTs) and soil improver from leachate. Leachate is a liquid commonly present in landfills that carry noxious substances. It is dangerous as it contaminates soils and groundwater if leaked.
Who can benefit from REVALUO?
Our waste management system brings significant benefits on a local and global scale. For governments, citizens and companies alike:
- Waste minimization. Our system reduces waste in landfills by 85-90%.
- Value recovery. We can recover value in the forms of energy, fuels, and products.
- We help you meet your emission targets. Our thermolysis plants produce a maximum of 3.9 g/h per tonne. Our carbon emissions are well below the standards set by the EU and EEUU.
- It is a source of energy. A ton of pellets produces between 1 and 1.2 MWh per ton. The more tonnes we manage, the more power we can produce.
- Quick return on investment and 100% eco-friendly. A significant transfer of income takes place within the community once the investment is recovered. New jobs are created and economic activity flourishes.
- We promote a circular economy. REVALUO recovers value from many different types of waste. From municipal waste, organic waste, plastic (not PVC), ETLs, leachate… being many of this waste non-biodegradable and harmful to the environment.
Vertical markets and REVALUO
Landfills, large agricultural and livestock production, plastic or tire recycling plants, sewage treatment plants, chemical, and agri-food industries… In general, if you are an industry that handles large tons of waste per year, whether organic or inorganic, REVALUO can help you. Get profitability from your own waste, improving its environmental management and reducing the impact to a minimum.